Agricultural Economics Strategic Plan
In Fall 2021, the Department of Agricultural Economics began the process to revise the former plan and identify the department’s strategic future research direction and faculty needs.
The Department of Agricultural Economics strives to be a leading source of education, research, extension, and leadership for agricultural and applied economics.
As a land-grant institution, we serve a broad constituency including students, producers, consumers, agribusiness managers, policy makers, and other stakeholders. We aim to provide relevant, objective, and timely applied economics programs that benefit these constituents in their decisions and actions.
- Sustain a balanced approach to the use of in-person, technology-enhanced and online programs for all of our students.
- Continually improve our undergraduate curriculum to respond to shifting student and constituent needs.
- Increase faculty interaction with undergraduate students.
- Continually improve the quality of our master’s programs to sustain our excellent national and international reputation.
- Refocus the Ph.D. program to best prepare students for academic and research-oriented careers.
- Champion fundamental and applied research that addresses agricultural economics and agribusiness.
- Be internationally recognized for economic analysis of broad agricultural issues in three focus areas.
- Encourage and support interdisciplinary and collaborative research.
- Develop long-term sustainable sources of funding.
- Foster a diverse and inclusive research culture where everyone has a sense of belonging.
- Integrate teaching and Extension programs to foster student development and create solutions for agribusiness and agriculture issues.
- Foster collaboration between Extension and research to solve critical issues.
- Explore and develop new Extension opportunities and areas.
Climate and Environment Goals
- Champion diversity, equity and inclusion among our faculty, staff and students.
- Create an environment where all department members can work, learn, collaborate, serve, innovate and thrive.
Texas A&M University Purpose Statement
As a member of Texas A&M University, our department adopts the Texas A&M University Purpose Statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. The Texas A&M purpose statement carries with it the responsibility, the traditions and the forward thinking of Texas A&M University exemplified by all who are associated with the university — its faculty and staff, and its current and former students. As Aggies, we strive toward this purpose by embodying the Texas A&M Core Values, which are naturally and by design at the core of everything we do.
- Selfless Service