B.S. Financial Planning
Financial planning is the study of financial decision-making throughout the life cycle of individuals, families, and organizations. The Bachelor of Science in Financial Planning (BS-FINP), offered through the Department of Agricultural Economics, prepares students to develop comprehensive, tailored financial strategies for clients. Students study a variety of topics such as savings and investments, income tax planning, retirement income planning, debt management, estate planning, risk management, and client communication.
Texas A&M University is ranked No. 1 in Texas and No. 7 nationally among the best schools for agricultural business majors.
We’re committed to providing students opportunities to get a well-rounded education that prepares them to become leaders in their professions and in their communities. That means a focus on service as well as academics, and experience tackling real-world problems alongside some of the world’s top professors.
- Degree: B.S. Financial Planning
- Credit Hours: 120 total credit hours
Financial planning is ranked among the fastest-growing careers in the nation. Graduates of this program are qualified for careers in financial planning, financial counseling, financial literacy education, financial technology, mutual fund companies, consumer banking, accounting, consulting, government agencies, and other related fields. This degree will also prepare students for advanced graduate studies in accounting, psychology, finance, law, and agribusiness.
The Bachelor of Science in Financial Planning degree program is registered with the Certified Financial Planning Board of Standards (CFP Board). All coursework meets the Certified Financial Planner™ education requirement. Upon completing the program, students are eligible to take the CFP® Certification Examination.
Students in this program will acquire marketable skills, including:
- In-depth knowledge of financial systems at the macro and microeconomic level
- Financial counseling and the ability to provide fundamental financial advice
- Client communication and in-depth understanding of the financial language used across multiple industries
- Identification of social and ethical issues related to household finances
- Data Analysis and Modeling of consumer choice
- Computer-based forecasting using household financial modeling
- Comprehensive knowledge of all areas (retirement, taxation, estate, investments, education, risk management, and ethics) of financial planning
Financial planning students will have access to:
- A case-based and experiential curriculum that will empower learners to engage and understand the impact of finances and financial decision-making across the lifecycle
- Structured mentorship and high-impact learning opportunities provided via existing relationships with local private and public organizations
- Opportunities to provide presentations to the local community and student body regarding financial planning and financial literacy
- National financial planning organizations and career placement
The breadth and depth of training you receive will prepare you for careers in financial planning, consulting, government agencies, financial literacy education, financial software applications, accounting organizations, consumer banking, and related professions. Recent companies that have hired our graduates include Raymond James, Fidelity, Charles Schwab, Vanguard, Tolleson Wealth Management, Frost Bank, and LPL Financial. You can also explore other careers in this major through the Texas A&M Career Center.
|Support Advisor/Associate Advisor
|Research, collect, and manage client data, contribute to client onboarding, answer client inquiries, and draft financial plans while supporting business development efforts and fostering expertise in financial planning concepts.
|Retirement Plan Specialist
|Conduct client meetings, design and implement tailored retirement plans, provide expert guidance on retirement investment options, and ensure compliance with regulations, while cultivating skills in plan optimization.
|Assist with investments, trading, and general operations related to client onboarding. Develop and present investment plans, collaborate with investment teams to design model portfolios, and guide clients through routine reviews.
|Personal Financial Advisor
|Lead client relationships, manage teams, contribute to firm strategies, and drive business growth while developing essential skills in mentoring, coaching, and strategic planning.
Texas A&M announces new bachelor’s degree program in financial planning
The Department of Agricultural Economics in the Texas A&M College of Agriculture and Life Sciences received approval from the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board to create a Bachelor of Science degree program in financial planning.
For degrees or admissions questions:
For general questions: