The Agribusiness, Food and Consumer Economics Research Center brings needed information to our valued clients, stakeholders and the public. Read on for information on our most recent research and outreach activities.
Speeches and Presentations
- Oral Capps, Jr. and Joshua Strine presented “Assessing the Effectiveness of Promotion Campaigns for Fluid Milk” at the 2022 International Food Marketing Research Symposium in San Antonio, TX.
- Gary W. Williams, Oral Capps, Jr., and Joe Somers presented “The Economic Impact of ATP and USDA Export Market Development Programs” during the IHS Markit Webinar sponsored by the U.S. Grains Council and the US Agricultural Export Development Council in March 2022.
- A presentation, “Dynamics of a Macroeconomic Shocks on Food Assistance Programs in the United States,” was given by Oral Capps, Jr. to Healthy Eating Research (HER) in June 2021. HER is national program of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation at Duke University.
- A presentation, “Demand Interrelationships and Socio-economic Factors Associated with the Purchase of Various Dairy Products in the United States,” authored by Long Gao, Oral Capps, Jr. and Senarath Dharmasena, was given at the Agricultural and Applied Economics Association 2019 Annual Meeting in Atlanta, GA.
- Gary W. Williams was featured as the keynote speaker at the 7th Congress on the Agricultural Economy and Natural Resources and the 1st National Congress on Climate Change in Texcoco, Mexico (November 2019), presenting “Latin American Livestock Industry: Situation and Challenges.”
- Gary W. Williams was selected and served as a post-conference workshop moderator for the AAEA Post-Conference Workshop on “The Convergence of Policy Issues in Produce Research: Labor/mechanization, NAFTA, and the Food Safety Modernization Act” held in Washington, D.C. in August 2018. There he gave a special presentation on his manuscript “The Benefits of U.S. Imports of Mexican Avocados.”
- Gary W. Williams presented the paper, “The National Economic Contribution of Generic Food and Agricultural Product Advertising and Promotion,” authored along with Dr. Oral Capps, Jr. and Daniel Hanselka, at the 2017 International Food Marketing Research Symposium in Dubrovnik, Croatia.
- Gary W. Williams, along with a number of experts in the agricultural industry, testified before the House Agriculture Committee in February 2017 to discuss the nature of international market development programs administered by the USDA Foreign Agriculture Service.
- Oral Capps, Jr. on behalf of the SAS Institute, continues to give numerous presentations on applied econometrics.
Seminars and Conferences
- In June 2022, AFCERC co-hosted the International Food Marketing Research Symposium held in San Antonio, TX with the MAPP Centre, Aarhus University of Denmark. In addition, Oral Capps, Jr. and MS Student Josh Strine presented on “Assessing the Effectiveness of Promotion Campaigns for Fluid Milk.”
- Seminar on Aflatoxin – In August, Dr. Ranajit Bandyopadhyay, Principal Scientist and Leader of the Africa-wide Aflasafe at the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, gave his presentation (hosted by AFCERC) on “Safer Crops, Better Health, and Higher Income: Ground-Truths from Development to Scaling-Up of Aflatoxin Biocontrol in Africa.”